I have decided, that when baby number 2 arrives, I really want to take things into my own hands. I feel confident that with the combination of good equipment, some editing, and lots of research on the subject, the results will be something that I will be satisfied with… If not, I will hang my head in shame, and hire someone else to do the job.
I almost feel silly calling this a tutorial, because these tutus are really that easy to make, but I thought I’d share how I adapted things on my own from the several tutorials I read via Pinterest.
For starters, I found the rolls of tulle at Joann Fabrics for a couple of dollars each. They come in a wide variety of colors, which makes me feel like there might just be more tutus to come for us in the future. I bought the pink coordinating roll of ribbon, because I thought adding a bow to my tutu would be a cute addition. I already had some elastic waistband on hand from making pajama pants for Max. I believe it is a 1/2 inch in width.
From there, I cut the elastic band. From the research I did, 15 inches in length should fit a newborn waist, but I cut my piece to be 16 inches long to allow for the overlap where I would be sewing it together.
I used my sewing machine to sew the elastic into a loop, but this could honestly be done by hand.
Then I began cutting my tulle into strips. I made each of my strips 20 inches in length. I wasn’t sure exactly how many strips I would need, so I just kept cutting, and once I began tying them on to the elastic, if it looked like I needed more, then I simply cut more. I want to say I used about 12 strips of each color, give or take, around 36 strips total.
To tie the tulle to the elastic band, I folded each strip in half and used a simple slip knot all the way around the elastic band.
When I did this, I cut a 30 inch length of the coordinating pink ribbon that I intended to use for the bow and tied the tulle strips around the ribbon and the elastic at the same time. In hindsight, I think I could have skipped doing that, and just tied the bow on at the end… I suppose I’ll try that next time!