Some of the items featured in this guide were gifted to me as a thank you for being included as gift ideas for kids under the age of five. This post also contains affiliate links.
I am always on the lookout for unique and fun gift ideas for my kids. Like most children under the age of five, mine have vivid imaginations. They love to play make believe, and more often than not, I am finding that they are really drawn to gifts that allow them the freedom to be creative.
Sometimes I like to think outside of the box when I’m looking for toys for them. I don’t always go for the obvious choice, and I tend to lean more towards toys that I know will last, and that can be handed down from one child to the next.
Many of the items featured in this guide will encourage your little ones to use their imaginations. They will inspire them to explore, to create, and play in a way that a kids under the age of five really want to be playing.
1. B. Toys – B. Toys has long been a favorite brand of ours. They’re a company, that as a mom, I can really stand behind since their goal is to create toys that inspire individuality. Everything that they make is bright, fun, and unique. The B. Zany Zoo Activity Cube is a favorite of all of my kids. This cube is filled with fun activities. From animals, to letters, to numbers, to colors and shapes, it encourages their busy little minds to explore the world around them. My daughter adores the B. Meowsic Keyboard. This mini piano offers a microphone with a recording option, and makes all kinds of entertaining noises for kids. My son, who is 4.5, can’t get enough of this Bug Bungalow. He loves catching bugs, worms, and caterpillars and learning more about them with this fun little kit.
2. Puppy Liza – Are you looking for a fun and original gift idea? Is your child a dog lover? Do they get super excited about receiving mail of their own? Puppy Liza is a fun subscription service that provides your kids with a letter from their puppy pen pal in your mailbox each month. In addition to a story that will engage your child’s mind and inspire their imagination, each letter includes a fun little trinket as an accompaniment. Both of my kids just love reading letters from their puppy friend.
3. Seedling Toys – As I was saying, I am all about toys that inspire my kids to create, and Seedling toys do just that. This brand seeks to grow inspired kids, and their award-winning products are designed to encourage kids to create their own adventure. As a part of their collaboration with Disney, I couldn’t help but pick out this Little Mermaid | Design your Own Fintastical Mermaid Tail kit for my Ariel-obsessed daughter. I knew it was something that we could sit down and do together, and the end result would be a fun and glittery tail that she’ll be wearing everywhere we go. For my oldest son, I had to have this Illuminate the Night – Design Your Own Glowing Light Globe kit. For one, he loves to color, and, I just knew he would think that it was the coolest thing ever if he could color this globe himself, and then we could plug it in and he could use it as a night light every night.
4. Smiling Tree Toys – Smiling Tree Toys creates handmade, timeless, heirloom toys. Each of their items are made in their family’s wood shop, and I can’t say enough good things about them. They are beautifully crafted and well made, and I love that they offer the option to personalize each item. These wooden name puzzles are a big hit in our house. My kids love taking the letters out and spelling their names over and over again. My daughter, who enjoys pretending that she is a fairy princess, can’t get enough of this wooden magic wand that has her name engraved on it.
5. Z Dough – What kid doesn’t love play dough??? This isn’t your average play dough though, Z dough is handmade scented play dough that smells amazing. The spiced cranberry, peppermint, and vanilla mint holiday scents have quickly become favorites of ours. The tins of dough also come along with glitter that you can mix in for shimmery fun. This is no doubt a gift that will inspire hours and hours of creativity!
6. Tender Leaf Toys – Mentari Toys makes the most beautiful, bright, and fun wooden toys. This parking garage – fire station is beyond cool… it features four levels, an elevator, a gas station, and so much more. This wooden Ice Lollies Stand not only encourages imitative and imaginary play, but it’s so pretty that it can actually serve as a decor piece too. These are the kind of toys that are built to last and that you will have for many years to come.
In addition to this round up of some of our favorite gift ideas and toys, and because I am such a huge supporter of shopping small, I wanted to share some coupon codes with you guys to encourage you to take part in Shop Small Saturday…
Modern Burlap | 20% off with BLACKFRIDAY20
The Silver Loft | 30% off with BLACKFRIYAY
Little Adi + Co | 30% off with BF2016
Shop Goldy Fox | 20% off $25+ with code GOOD20 | 25% off $50+ with code BETTER25 | 30% off $100+ with code BEST30
Cuteheads | Code “BLACKFRIDAY” runs through cyber Monday at midnight and is good for 15% off your entire order
Little Stand Out | Get 20% off and Free Shipping on orders over $50 with code CUPCAKEMAGBFB16
Brin & Bell |Black Friday Sale begins at Midnight MST (mountain standard) 12 AM until 7AM 35% off using code “Blackfriday” | 8 AM until Noon 25%off using code “twentyfive”| Noon until Midnight 20%off using code “twenty
Gentry California | Making spirits bright jammies and adult’s be joyful jammies will be 40% off all day with code “BLACKFRIDAY40”
Oat Mama | 20% off with OATMAMABF
Brittany Garner Design | Free Shipping with FREESHIP
Bravado Designs | 20% off with BIGSALE2016