It’s hard to believe that tomorrow is already Thanksgiving. The holiday season is my absolute favorite, but this year, it totally snuck up on me. Since this time of year tends to get a little chaotic, I’m always on a mission to find a way to simplify things and make my life a little easier.
One pot dishes have become a staple in our house for this exact reason. I’ve really grown to love meals that come together quickly and require minimal dishes (doesn’t everyone?). This one pot creamy lemon chicken pasta makes for a great weeknight meal, but coincidently it’s perfect for entertaining too.
No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove or cleaning up for hours on end when you have guests, so pour yourself a glass of wine, get this dish started, and allow it to simmer while you mingle and enjoy your company.
Before your guests arrive, I always find it best to create a little “help yourself wine area”. That way you don’t have to stress about constantly making sure that your guest’s glasses are topped off. Be sure to pick up a few bottles of both red and white to suit all of your guests preferences. Wente wines are perfect for this, their Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc are favorites of mine. You’ll also want to have plenty of glasses readily available, and it’s best to leave a wine opener nearby too.
While your guests pour themselves a glass of wine and begin to settle in, you can get the pasta going. This dish goes great with a side salad and some bread, so to speed the process along, you may want to have these items prepared ahead of time. That way the pasta can be your only concern. Otherwise, the steps to make this main course are fairly simple. It’s ready in a snap, but will taste like it took all day to prepare.
- 1 Lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Lb box of linguine
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 heaping cups of fresh spinach
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- the juice of 1 large lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2. Season chicken with s&p.
- 3. Add onions to pot, and cook until soft. Add chicken and cook until brown. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4. Add in uncooked linguine, chicken broth, water, and spinach.
- 5. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally, for about 20-22 minutes.
- 6. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 7. Add in cheeses and lemon juice, and stir until cheese is combined and melted.
- 8. Salt and pepper to taste.
My favorite wine to pair with this meal is Wente Vineyard’s Louis Mel Sauvignon Blanc. Its bright citrus notes pair perfectly with the lemon in the pasta, and help to balance the creamy cheesiness of this dish.
What is your go-to recipe when entertaining? I’d love to hear about it in the comments section below!