During the winter months, I like to make a big pot of soup on Sundays. There’s just something about the smell of soup simmering on the stovetop on a winter day that screams cozy to me. Plus, there’s the leftovers. Leftover soup for lunch all week. It’s perfect.
The recipe for this creamy sausage and tortellini soup is a recipe I recently through together on a whim. It’s sort of a play on a similar tortellini soup recipe that I had had before, but I added the element of tomatoes and cream, and substituted sausage for chicken, and hello delicious!
You could certainly lighten this dish up by using turkey sausage in the place of pork, or milk in the place of cream, but if you’re looking for a “stick to your ribs” kind of soup, sometimes you just have to treat yourself!
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lb Spicy or Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbs. garlic, minced
- 1 32 oz. carton of chicken broth
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped basil
- 1 package of cheese filled tortellini
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- S&P to taste.
- Optional: grated parmesan as a garnish
- 1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium high heat, heat olive oil.
- 2. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- 3. Add sausage and break up with a spoon. Cook until no longer pink.
- 4. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 5. Stir in tomatoes, broth, S&P and bring to a boil.
- 6. Reduce to and simmer, covered. Stir occasionally for about 35 minutes.
- 7. Add tortellini, basil, spinach and cream and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 8. Top with parmesan and serve.