I don’t know about you, but around here, the struggle is real when it comes to getting my kids to eat healthy. I definitely make a solid effort to feed them a nutritious diet by focusing on the goal of “eating the rainbow”. Offering them colorful food options helps me ensure that they are getting what they need when it comes to fruits and vegetables. However, purple always seems to be one of the colors that is the toughest for us. Apparently, we’re not alone. Did you know that only 3% of American’s fruit and vegetable intake is from the purple and blue category? February just so happens to be Heart Health Awareness month, and it turns out, that purple is the color that is linked to heart health. So not just this month, but year-round, we’re making it our mission to incorporate more purple foods into our diet, and we’re starting with an easy one… Welch’s 100% Concord Grape Juice.
Welch’s 100% Concord Grape Juice is a simple and delicious way to add some heart-healthy purple to your diet. Thanks to the Concord Grape’s purple skin, it is full of polyphenols, so I drink a glass every morning before I have my coffee. Naturally, I get my second dose of polyphenols when I enjoy my glass of red at night (wink, wink)! It’s never too early to start living a heart-healthy lifestyle, and since my kid’s love Welch’s 100% Concord Grape Juice too, it makes for a great lunchbox option . I don’t think that I’m alone when I say that my kids also LOVE gummy fruit snacks. I’ve been on the hunt for awhile now, for a way to make a healthier version of their favorite treat at home, and I finally nailed it. These homemade grape gummies are super simple to make, their healthy, and they only include three ingredients!
All you’ll need is some Welch’s 100% Concord Grape Juice (did I mention that you can grab a coupon here), a couple of packets of unflavored gelatin, and a little bit of honey.
This video will show you how easy they are to make!
- 4 cups of Welch's 100% Concord Grape Juice
- 4 packages of unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1. Bring 3 cups of Welch's 100% Concord Grape Juice to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, sprinkle 4 packages of gelatin on top of 1 cup of cold juice.
- 3. Add simmering juice to bowl and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- 4. Add honey, and stir.
- 5. Pour mixture into a 9X13 baking dish.
- 6. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- 7. Cut into squares with a sharp knife, or into shapes using small cookie cutters.