Once upon a time, I shared a super easy recipe for homemade donuts here on the blog that utilized the help of a boxed cake mix. They turned out to be a pretty big hit on Pinterest, and in my own home. My kids love a good donut (who am I kidding? so do I!), and I love how quickly and easily these come together. I can’t even tell you how many batches we’ve made. This season, I wanted to mix it up a little bit and add some fall flair to the recipe. The flavors of fall are my all-time favorite, so it was a total no-brainer to take advantage of them and turn the ordinary cake mix donuts into extraordinary apple cider cake mix donuts.
Spice cake mix provided the perfect starting point, and the addition of apple cider, and cinnamon & sugar brought it all home. Once you grab yourself a donut pan (*affiliate link), you really don’t need anything besides a big old bowl, a spoon, and a large ziplock bag. These donuts pair perfectly with a hot cup of pumpkin spice flavored coffee, make your house smell amazing while baking, and are best served warm.
- FOR DONUTS
- 1 box of spice flavored cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of apple cider
- FOR ICING
- 1 cup of confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 2 Tbs apple cider
- *** Top with a cinnamon and sugar mixture (equal parts ground cinnamon and granulated sugar)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Spray your donut pan liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg, oil, water, and cider, and stir until combined.
- 4. Pour mixture into a large ziplock bag (gallon size is perfect), and snip the corner to use as a piping bag (do not overfill molds, they will rise!).
- 5. Bake for 14 minutes.
- 6. While donuts are cooking, combine powdered sugar and apple cider in a small bowl for the icing.
- 7. Remove donuts from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- 8. Using a spoon, drizzle icing over donuts, and then coat with cinnamon sugar mixture.